The F-Diaries:
Food, Film & Fotography.
Sunday, February 12, 2006
 
Intermission

And now I interrupt your daily dose of food, film and fotography to bring you a hair-raising discovery. For my past few hair cuts (easily over a year since I cut it on average 4 times a year), I've been patronising Heatwave at Marina Square, often before or after a movie. For one reason or another, the past year has seen me appearing at MS rather often and in fact I can't remember when was the last time I stepped into Taka!



***

Intermission of an Intermission

Marina Square is now a shadow of its past. Not sure whether that expression is used correctly or not but it is becoming a kinda hip place (relative of course). And of course there are so many food outlets! The first Carl's Junior in SG was opened here. Wah big American style burgers. Yum! Then there are the familiar Swensen's, Cafe Cartel, Billy Bombers, Hans, Sakae Sushi, Spagheddies and the not so familiar Waraku, Changing Appetites, Kyo-nichi Ramen, Dian Xiao Er, Corona, etc. in addition to the fastfood chains BK, Macs, KFC, Yoshi, etc.


And there was a surprising discovery lately that the food court, imaginatively called Food Loft, has a famous HK roast meat stall with lofty aspirations! It was reviewed in the latest 8Days and its one of the rare food stalls to sell roast goose (!) and suckling pig (!) roasted at the location! I tried the roast duck with char-siu rice (because the goose don't have anymore) and it was great! To add extra meat costs only $1! The char-siu not the usual boring type but it had character. And the duck had well marinated skin with meat that was flavorful as well. The queue was long enough too, with one guy packing 17 packs of chicken rice, no doubt influenced by the review, just like me. Kinda wasted that a few days prior to that I was there with HM and couldn't find anything nice there and had to resort to this not so nice claypot rice. Kena tricked becoz I thot the bacon advertised was real bacon instead of deep-fried bacon ala BK.


Well that's the food part. Marina Sq also has a cinema which used to be super hard to find. Now, it's just hard to find. Other than that, clothing wise the selection are pretty decent though for more branded stuff have to walk over to Suntec.

Of course all those are not the real ultimate reason I go Marina Sq so often. The reason... has to be kept a secret lah.


End.

***

Anyway, as I was saying, I've been to Heatwave for several times and for the previous two times I've had my hair styled by Wini Kwek (hello if you are readin this!). Yes.. styled, not cut. I don't pay so much to just have it cut. :P

She's a nice and pleasant (and rather cute) girl who does a good job on my hair. No complaints so far. I like it that I don't feel obliged to make small talk, unlike with other stylists that I've had before. I don't trust a stylist who cuts and talks at the same time. And she dishes out good advice too in just one sentence per session. First time was don't wait longer than 2 months for a haircut. The last time was don't use hair spray as it flattens my hair. Ok maybe those are common sense, but it sure made sense to me. Another thing is this place is usually not crowded. I just go in, get shown to a seat and the stylist arrives in seconds. I don't even have time to pick up the obligatory magazine they offer you! Great for people like me who dreads spending time at a hair salon. All these coupled with the reasonable price of $21 for a wash and cut makes it a no-brainer place for hair-dressing. Only time will tell how long I will continue patronizing this place since I do have a tendency to change salons. But so far so good.

 

.....

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Important: All photos posted in this site belongs solely to the owner of this blog unless otherwise specified. No content on this website including, but not limited to, text and photography may be reproduced without prior explicit written consent (use the comments function). If any photos are deemed offensive or objectionable, please inform me about it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore
ARCHIVES
April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / November 2006 / February 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 /


Visit my Flickr

Powered by Blogger