The F-Diaries:
Food, Film & Fotography.
Thursday, December 08, 2005
 
HK Cafe
Brought CY to this place over at Upper East Coast Rd after a nice supper there with SW some time ago. We went around 8pm and boy, the whole area was rather crowded. Had to park in some residential area behind the place. Brought my Dotty with me so I took some nice photos. I dunno whether it seems weird to be lugging that DSLR around to restaurants, but so far so good. At least with a companion with me I don't feel so shy whipping it out. Since we are having dinner today, we ordered more food than previously. For drinks I had iced Yin Yang, which is HK lingo for milk tea and coffee combo, while CY had iced milk tea. I realized the iced version was more worth it compared to the hot one which came in a rather small mug, even for $0.50 less. For sides we ordered the familar classics, two polo buns, one polo bun with charsiew, french toast with peanut butter and sour and spicy soup. CY felt the Crystal Jade (CJ) polos were nicer but to me I think the ones here are better. They are smaller but comes warm and just feels right. Of coz I must go to HK to verify the authentic ones. The charsiew one wasn't as nice as CJ though, I must admit. The charsiew is not as plentiful and flavorful. French toast again was wonderful though CY (as usual) thought that the one made by her sister was nicer. Finally the soup was good as well, chockful of ingredients though it wasn't too spicy for my taste, which probably means most ppl won't find it spicy at all. For the mains I had the classic instant noodle soup with luncheon meat and fried egg. The luncheon meat came in a thick disc. Kudos! Meanwhile CY had beef kway teow, which I dunno whether its authentic HK food or not. The beef was tender but the kway teow was a bit bland. Perhaps the result of assaulting our tastebuds with butter, honey, sour/spicy soup? Anyway total bill came up to $27. No complains there because I ate until I was damn bloated. Which isn't something I feel very much nowadays. On a side note, the waitresses there are really hot. There's one in her 30s (?) and has this mature look and resembles Rene Liu (CY doesn't think so). From her accent can tell she's not local and probably a Hongkie, which of course brings further authenticity to that place. CY thinks another younger waitress is prettier though, but lets not go to there.






Polo buns, yum! The behemoth at the bottom right is the charsiew version.





French toast with peanut butter inside and plenty of honey slattered on top.





Instant noodles hidden underneath an egg, luncheon meat and a stalk of HK kailan.





Clockwise from top left: Beef kway teow, milk tea, Yin Yang, sour and spicy soup.
 

.....

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Important: All photos posted in this site belongs solely to the owner of this blog unless otherwise specified. No content on this website including, but not limited to, text and photography may be reproduced without prior explicit written consent (use the comments function). If any photos are deemed offensive or objectionable, please inform me about it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore
ARCHIVES
April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / November 2006 / February 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 /


Visit my Flickr

Powered by Blogger